Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Yet more on poetry

I was going to write a long post on my thoughts on poetry, then I realised I'd done it before (and sparked one of my longest-ever discussions).

The motivation last time was some superficially amusing but ultimately mediocre poetry by a Union minister. This time the motivation was Anindita's reflections on appropriate criticism of work that one doesn't like; and the motivation for that was a particular poem that she didn't like, and her attempts to say so without sounding mean or nasty. (In fact, I quite liked that poem and, it turns out, at least one published poet likes it too. But it would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.)

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject, and also on analogies in science, but I went into some of that in comments to my previous post as well as new comments on Anindita's; I may yet expand on them in a new one.

Anyway, the discussion on Anindita's blog is getting interesting, especially how two different published poets (she and Vivek Narayanan) each see a published poem so differently. (And at least two other poets are commenters there, with interesting thoughts on the criticism process.) Go read it if you're interested in such things.

No comments: